Thursday, January 13, 2011

Resolution and a crash.

*looks at the last post he did*

Wow that's really a long time. I think my new year resolution for this year is to find some way to update this lonely little blog of mine often or something. But enough of that for now as there is a reason why I'm using my blog today to which I will now attend to.

As some of you already know, I got myself into a road accident this morning, the first (and hopefully the ONLY one) of the new year. What happened?

It was half past seven in the morning I remembered and a bright sunny morning at that, and for some reason, the Mentiri highway from Muara to the Sg. Akar roundabout was so packed for some reason, and as I trudge down the road to get to the U-turn down near the traffic light which I need to take to turn to get to RTB Sg Akar, I was worried that getting out of it would be a problem.

Of course, the line of cars ended before I even get there, but I found instead a different sort of congestion waiting for me: due to road repairs on the left lane somewhere further up, a lot of cars were lining up slowly on the right lane to get pass it, which means it perfectly blocks the U-turn exit.

There, I waited patiently for the congestion to lighten up a bit so I can exit it, and eventually, one car did stop far enough so I can slowly exit which I was honestly grateful for. So slowly, after raising a hand of acknowledgment and thanks, I got out, looked both ways to make sure no cars were close. Seeing as the car of the guy who gave me way was huge (I can't remember what it was, but it was something like a yellow/green Nissan Elgrand, Hyundai H1 or Toyota Alphard), I couldn't see if there were any cars coming from the left lane, even if I craned my head far enough, so I slowly went forward-

AND BAM!!!

I saw too late a grey Suzuki SX4 coming out from beside the huge car and slammed into mine in the left passenger side. I remember I was rocked violently in my seat while I felt vaguely the car being lifted from the impact, but my seatbelt held me in place, and I continued forward anyway into the U-turn side road whatchamacallit before I finally stop my car.

I was freaked out of course, and I groaned as I try to catch my breath in shock; even nursing my rapidly beating heart I think. It was after I calmed myself a bit that I noticed someone was knocking on my window, and it was the guy who hit me. As I got out of my car, he asked me, "Didn't you see me?" to which I honestly yet weakly replied "No..."

Some folks stops to see us, though mostly at the guy who hit me. I used the time to survey the damage of my car which, due to certain unfortunate stuffs I'm worried about this month, was the only thing on my mind.

I stayed near my car sitting at the side as I was still feeling out of breath, eyeing the damage to my car while listening not-so-clearly to the sound of traffic passing by us and people talking and inspecting both cars and drivers: we also waited for the police and tow truck to come as well.


And here's what the side of my car looks like now. Suffice to say, I walked away with a bent side passenger door and possibly the middle car frame as well, though maybe a little bit. It does leave a noticable gap at the top of the door however, and rain would have easily gotten in to the interiors right now if me and my dad didn't apply some plastic bags and duct tape to cover it. I was worried how I was going to break the news to my mom of all people, and speak of the devil, she messaged wondering if I have arrived at work yet, obviously worried as usual that I hadn't sent her message if I did.

Meanwhile, the guy's car was towed away looking like this...

Aside from what you can see right now, both his airbags were also out as well. Yes, I'm idly scared; SX4 owners, beware and be careful! I'm very grateful that none of us were hurt much though and we both lived to tell the tales, or in my case, to blog this for those curious of what had transpired early this morning.

4 comments:

  1. always check the lane you are cutting into especially near a U-turn, the guy would be totally at fault considering driving lessons did say to not change lane within few 10s of metres of a U-turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goooshh! are u alright koh?! 0__0 so sorry this morning if i was a bit of a nuisance when i asked you..i was just curious..anyway, hope things are gonna be okayy.. and if u feel cool bout sharing the details sometime later i would be gladly to hear it.. coz it also happened to me not long ago to my Vitara, it gave me the shock of my life coz at that time i've just recently purchased@loan the car in less than one week time..

    Hope all is okay bro...things happen for a reason man..the best is yet to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @HanYean: I tried, though apparently not enough. An additional problem was that the u-turn is somewhere up on a small hill and the slope downhill where the traffic comes from was not far from it: that's a death blindspot there especially with the traffic this morning I think. And I'm not sure if the guy actually cut to the next lane or was on that lane to begin with: further down the hill is a 3 junction traffic light.

    @Then: Haha, I was trying to be calm and keep my cool, no worries man. I also sort of know that you got yourself into an accident too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow scary eh! glad to know you're alright at least. well, a few things hanyean may or may not know about that particular stretch of road:
    - it's wide (double lane), and relatively straight.
    - well surfaced :D
    - therefore: very tempting to speed on it. Hilly terrain only makes it more fun DX... tho obviously dangerous.
    It might have allowed the other driver to see traffic build-up on the right lane tho. Meaning he may have switched to left from far already.

    well sounds like there was construction on the highway? How far before the u-turn were the "slow" and "caution" signs up, koh? Knowing this could strengthen your argument, if it ever comes to it. (although knowing most bruneian drivers [admittedly even myself haha] these would have been ignored [more power to u koh, makes him more wrong])

    tho like i said, its a nice big highway... lets say the guy slowed down to 60km/h... quite acceptable if u ask me, and if the car on koh's immediate left was big enough, 60km/h is fast.

    Dont know lah... hope insurance covers both of you, and coughs it up quickly DX

    ReplyDelete